Text Size
Saturday 16 December 2017

What to do when someone dies

It is usual for people to be unsure of what to do after a bereavement. We will take you through the initial steps and provide advice on other things you may need to think about when someone passes away.

When death occurs at home you should first contact the deceased's Doctor, or whichever Doctor is on duty. The Doctor will need to certify that death has taken place. If the deceased has been seen by the Doctor within the last fourteen days a death certificate can normally be issued, and the Doctor will advise as to the availability of it. After the Doctor has visited, it may be your wish that the deceased be taken to your chosen funeral director's Chapel of Rest. This can be arranged by telephone at any hour, day or night by calling the telephone number at the bottom of this page. If the death has occurred in a Hospital, Nursing or Residential home, most of the procedures mentioned will have been carried out, and with your consent, the deceased can be taken to the Funeral Director's Chapel of Rest. A member of staff will be able to advise you upon the availability of the death certificate. In all cases the death certificate must be taken to the registrar of births, marriages and deaths. Once the doctor has said that they are able to issue a cause of death certificate, please contact us as soon as you feel ready for your loved one to be taken into our care.

H V Taylor Funeral Directors

45 Green Street, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 2QE

01983 562 082